Monday 23 March 2015

Causing a Ruckus

Do you know anyone who is just always causing a ruckus? They can never seem to just simmer down and are always causing a scene. I hope I can be like that

I just finished reading Seth Godin's book "Tribes". It was a quick but insightful read about being the leader of a tribe of people. In it Seth examines some of the qualities of people who lead tribes amongst many other things.

One of the characteristics of a leader of a tribe is they cause ruckuses. Some people even refer to them as "heretics". Now as a pastor I don't want to be defined as a heretic, but I certainly don't mind creating a bit of a ruckus.

As I thought more and more about it, I began to realize that I can sometimes become confined. Sometimes by limits placed upon me, but often by limitations I place myself. And I can identify the barriers but for a number of reasons I don't move them or overcome them.

But then a started thinking about great examples of leaders of the Christian faith, starting simply with Jesus. Jesus was always causing a ruckus. He would make scenes, and do things against the status quo. He would infuriate people, and do unspeakable things... but he did it because he wanted, nay, he needed them to follow him. He needed to live an example of what it meant to live in relationship with God. He lived a life that was countercultural to show us what is Godcultural (yeah I  made that word up).

And so if I am going to be a follower of Jesus; and more than that; if I am going to be a pastor bringing people to Jesus, I need to start a ruckus.

So this week I am working on a couple new projects. They are a little out there and in some cases will stretch myself and other people. But I think they are going to cause a scene. I think they are going to get peoples attention. And the hope is that through these things people start to see Jesus through me in a new way, and start to follow him.

Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment