Friday 13 March 2015

Doing what you are supposed to

Romans 12: 4-7.....If you should be doing something
you better do it
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." -Romans 12:1

Have you ever felt like there was something that you were supposed to do but weren't?


Over the past year I have been sitting in a space feeling like there is something that I should be doing but wasn't... I have been on a long, emotional, tiring, stressful and exciting journey. It has put me and my family through the ringer but we know that God has given me some gifts which I haven't been using. We know that God has hardwired me with some ways of worship, which I have not been doing. I have also been learning that I am a creative. I may not be a creative with art but I am a creative with thoughts and words.

So I have found some things that I need to do it so I am going to do them. Here is my list-

5 Things I need to start or reincorporate into my life:

1) Putting God first: This is a never ending battle. Making sure that God is first in my life and making sure I invest in my time with Him. I need to give God the best of my time, not the leftovers.

2) Put my family second: Often times my work, my thoughts, my laziness, my distractions come between me and my family. That should never happen EVER. With Baby #2 due on May 5, I know that I need to spend some serious time refocusing and reorganizing my priorities to make sure I give my family the attention they need and deserve. I am slowly learning to put down my technology, leave work at work, and I hope I keep getting better at it.

3) Learning: One thing I am learning is that I need to a) read and to b) write. But I need to do these things in the best possible way.
a)I need to read things that will fill me up and inspire me, less Facebook and Buzzfeed articles.  I need more Bible, and books that will inspire my faith, leadership and creativity.
b) I need to write as an expression of who I am and what I am learning. I am an information junkie but I need to write to process what I take in, otherwise it is all for not.

4) Preaching/Teaching: I started in ministry know that I loved to see people come to faith and I longed to help them grow in their personal journey with God. What I have learned is that God has given me the gifts of preaching, creating and teaching. I need to live this beautiful gifting out, or I am throwing away what God gave me.

5)Living differently: There are two things I don't do enough of in my life.
1) Exercise! This is probably a common one for people like me, those of us who default to reading and love to eat. But I am learning that I am more bearable as a human being when I exercise. I also kind of like it when I do it. So I am challenging myself to do it a little more often, and hope it becomes a lot more often. Sure I could stand to lose a couple more pounds, but I could stand to gain a vibrancy of life even more.
2) Bring people into my life- It's really easy for me to have superficial relationships or just depend on the deep ones I already have, but I truly love people. I love talking to them, laughing with them and even just watching and studying them. I hope that this next stint of life I bring more beautiful people into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment