Saturday 1 September 2012

Exercising body and Exercising faith


Working out the soul and working out the body, that's what my new commitments are all about.

This week I saw part of the Ironman Penticton race. If you don't know what an Ironman triathlon is, you basically swim 2.4 miles, then bike for 112 miles followed by a 26.2 run (aka a marathon). It is a serious race only for people who are gluttons for punishment. And I want to do one, I have for a long time, when my wife and I got married I said I want to do one in 5 years. Well, we have been married for 3 now, so I better get a move on.

So this week I made a commitment to start exercising more. So far i'm done 6/7 days for the week and I have worked out for 10 hours. It is very good, and I started looking into swim lessons, since I am pretty capable for the run and bike so far.

This also got me thinking, there is something more important that I need to exercise and that is my faith. So for the fall to start I am going to work on a couple things.

1) My coworker and I are memorizing The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) It is a big task, but I think I can do it.

2) I am going to work on reading my Bible more regularly and get some new teaching (so far I have read a couple chapters of Matthew and watched some sermons by Andy Stanley and followed along.

These things are going to require a lot of work, but I know both will be worth the little bit of pain I have to endure to train myself!

What are your commitments to training?

No comments:

Post a Comment