Wednesday 19 December 2012

Gift of the Season


What’s on your heart?

Lately I have been mulling over the verse Deuteronomy 6:4-9

 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.”
This is a set of commands that was passed down to the people of Israel in order to prosper them. 
Lately I have been thinking a lot about how to grow in my faith and what ways I can open up to receive from God. Now that might sound selfish and consumeristic, but God wants to give to us. I am not saying He is going to give me cash or another car. I don’t suspect He is suddenly going to radically change my life and prevent me from being sick. I think He will give the blessings of joy, contentment and peace. 
I know now that it is Christmas it is super easy to get into buying and giving mode. Some of us are doing wonderful and even focus more on giving than getting. But what about our relationship with the Lord, what about our heart’s desire? The greatest gift I have received is the love of God, so what is the greatest gift I can give? It is to love the Lord with all my heart, soul and strength. I do it as a gift for him, I do it to impact future generations and I do it to receive his love, joy, and peace. 
I encourage you as we are in this season to set Christ first. Talk about him when sitting at home and even when on the road in your car. Connect with God when you get up in the morning and when you go to bed. Consider putting scripture by your door so you see it when you come and go from home. 
We do this to give back in thanks for receiving the greatest gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment