Tuesday 1 May 2012

Non-Essentials

I have been reminded lately of my non-essentials.

God, family, friends, work these are my essentials. They are the things that I value, in that order. But what are my non-essentials.

At first it is an easy answer, obviously everything that is not one of those four things. But sometimes I don't live my life in that order. There are times when I put entertainment high above those other things. People who know me well, know that I like social media, blogging, a lot of movies and tv shows. But the problem is sometimes far too often I put entertainment in front of spending time with God and reading my Bible. I put entertainment in front of my wife. I am not saying that watching a movie with your spouse is bad, I am saying that there are more times than not when I should have a conversation or go for a walk, but instead I choose the easy path of just chilling out.

When you are reminded of the essential things in life, you need to fight hard for them. Even as I am writing this post, I had to stop and take a break. I started writing this short post while my wife was getting ready to go shopping for some veggie plants for the garden. I said I'd come with her, so when she came out ready to go I had to put the laptop down and head out for a day gardening.

Now that it is day number two of this post, let me tell you. If I hadn't got up and gone with my wife to the garden store I would have missed a super fun day filled with moments like getting ice cream, going to a movie prop store, and just having a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment